The goal of the North East Internet Governance (NEIG) 2023 is to engage individuals from various stakeholder groups in, of and for North East Region (NER) of India in talks on Internet-related public policy issues in NER on an equal footing. The NEIG seeks to educate and motivate individuals in charge of developing policy in both the public and corporate sectors, even when there is no agreed-upon outcome.
- Discuss public policy problems relating to essential aspects of Internet governance in NER in order to promote the Internet’s reach, sustainability, robustness, security, stability, and progress in the distinct topography and landlocked region;
- Promote and facilitate discourse between stakeholders dealing with different cross-cutting themes and aspects of public policies regarding the Internet specific to the region;
- Engage and interface with appropriate organizations and other institutions on matters related to internet in the North Eastern States and the region;
- Support and facilitate the exchange of information and best practices around Internet governance and development;
- Engage and discuss with relevant stakeholders in proposing ways and means to accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the region;
- Observe, scout, identify, map emerging issues in Internet in the region, bring them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the wider public, and, where appropriate, make suggestions and recommendations;
- Work towards contributing to awareness and capacity building for Internet governance in each of the eight States of the region as well as the region as a whole, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and expertise;
- Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet governance processes in the region;
- Discuss issues relating to critical Internet resources for the region; help to find solutions to the issues arising from the use and misuse of the Internet, of particular concern to everyday users;
- Publish its proceedings, disseminate for wider review and reference.
NEIG State Discussion Series 2023
The Council for Social and Digital Development (CSDD), the North East Development Foundation, and the Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) are organising series of stakeholders’ engagement State wise in the region from February 2023 until October 2023.
Experts from academia, development sector, activists, public sector and tech sector will come together to participate in these discussions to talk about the critical role that internet and ICT are playing in the North East. From the cultural impact of internet to the challenges and opportunities that internet governance is bringing to fore in the region; from perspectives that focus on a top-to-down approach to understanding the changes in the everyday lives of the people – will be discussed in-depth.
Following a multi-stakeholder approach, emphasising on the diversity of participants and openness of the discussion, these conversations will play a critical role towards building meaningful connectivity in the region at the policy level, community level and individual level and drive the critical discourse of a free, sustainable and common internet for all, by encouraging participation and engendering a dialogue between stakeholders.
NEIG State Series
- Arunachal Pradesh
NEIG 2023: Main Event
The NEIG State series will culminate in the year ending NEIG with overall focus on the North East Region (NER) of India on critical aspects of Internet Governance.
- To collectively understand the various facets of internet governance in the North East India region in an open panel discussion with experts.
- To engage and encourage stakeholders to critically delve with issues and opportunities that internet governance is bringing to fore in the NE region in the workshops.
- To encourage experts and youth in contributing towards knowledge production on various facets of internet governance and internet culture in the NE region by submitting articles, essays and thought-pieces which will be collated, edited and published in a special issue commemorating the NEIG.
NEIG 2023: Key Broad Thematic Areas
- Sustainable Last Mile Connectivity & Internet Reach
- The connectivity, reach & access;
- Reliability & sustainability of connectivity;
- Utilitarian and meaningful connectivity;
- Cost & Affordability of network and connectivity;
- Community network as a viable alternative;
- Accessibility & affordability of devices;
- Feasibility of hardware/devices appropriate to the terrain;
- Climate & Environment friendly Digital Infrastructure in Northeast;
- Policy means, subsidies, incentives and connectivity.
- Success and Challenges to the e-services in Northeast;
- Access and delivery of e-services;
- State of digital governance in the region;
- Social, economic and cultural hindrances to Expansion of e-Services for better E-governance in Northeast.
- Digital charter and internet governance.
- Internet and Culture
- The influence of internet and ICT on communities and individuals;
- Changing cultural, economic and socio-political trends due to internet and ICT;
- Adoption of new internet uses.
- Impact of internet and ICT in the everyday lives of people in Northeast
- The relation between gender and internet culture in Northeast
- Adopting Emerging Technologies
- Changing technological trends; AI, ML and BC tech
- Opportunities for growth through adoption of emerging technologies;
- Challenges and issues facing the emerging technologies in the NER.
- The readiness of the Northeast states for emerging Technologies like AI, Machine Learning, Blockchain
- Smart Cities and North East region: Opportunities and challenges
- Cyber Safety, Security and Accountability
- Trends in cyber security threats and cybercrimes;
- Opportunities for firewalling and safeguarding the interest of the users, the region and nation;
- Technology for security; ensuring constitutional rights of the citizens.
- Ensuring cybersecurity of the IT infrastructure in the Northeast region
- Technology for Citizen Safety & Security
- Internet Freedom and Digital Rights
- Policy means, subsidies and incentives; transparency of e-governance; upholding basic constitutional rights of the citizens through digital means.
- Ensuring constitutional rights of the citizens; policy dialogue between stakeholders; youth as leaders for tomorrow; challenges to security & liberty of self; right to individual and group privacy.
- Internet Bans in the Northeast States to curb Dissent;
- Challenges to Right to Freedom of Speech and Expression through Internet in the Northeast States.