The eNorth East Award platform was launched in the year 2010 as an information, knowledge and best practices platform in sustainable development including sustainable digital practices / Information Communication Technology (ICT) for development in the North East Region of India. It was launched with the idea and passion from Dr. Syed Kazi, an expert in sustainable development solutions and Information Communication Technology (ICT) for development in the North East Region of India, and few leading experts from the region and from mainstream India coming together.
The founders of the platform included:
- Mr. Rajen Varada: Former ICT4D Lead at UN Solution Exchange and currently CEO of Open Knowledge Community (OKC), a knowledge platform of UNESCO and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India.
- Mr. Amitabh Singhal: He is on the Board of the Public Interest Registry (PIR), which is a Reston, Virginia (United States) based not-for-profit created by the Internet Society in 2002 to manage the .ORG top-level domain. It took over operation of .ORG in January 2003 and launched the .NGO and .ONG top-level domains in March 2015.
- Mr. Rajesh Verma: He is former Secretary, Information Technology, Govt. of Sikkim
- Mr. Osama Manzar: He is Founder and Director of Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) and a leading global expert and practitioner in sustainable ICT for development.
- Dr. Geeta Malhotra: Dr. Geeta is a leading development expert and currently Country Director of READ India (India Chapter of READ GLOBAL).
- Dr. Syed Kazi: He is the Founder & President of the eNorth East Award cum Knowledge cum best practices platform of North East India